Horowhenua District council proposes to introduce a new bylaw for the control of solid waste within the district. The bylaw is entitled “Horowhenua District Council Waste Bylaw 2008”. The proposed commencement date is 1 July 2008. The draft bylaw is available for viewing during working hours at the offices of the Council in Oxford St Levin, Main Street Foxton and at the library in Plimmer Terrace, Shannon.
The following is a summary of the proposal.
1. Waste types are defined as one of Household, Recyclable, Green, Paper, Inorganic, Commercial Household, Commercial, Prohibited or Hazardous Waste. Methods of management of each type of waste are set out. This includes approved receptacles, placement of waste for collection and offences.
2. It is an offence to deposit Waste, trolleys and receptacles on Public Land.
3. People who run special events are required to obtain a Waste management licence. This ensures that waste is properly managed at such events.
4. Operators of waste management facilities are required to obtain a licence.
5. Collectors of waste are required to obtain a licence. The licence for collectors of waste will include a requirement to collect recyclable or paper waste separately.
Full details of the proposed change, and a submission form are available from the Council website