November 2011 newsletter
Your Ratepayers Association is an Incorporated Society which is active in your community, organising various summer activities including…
- Boat Day [11.30am, Wednesday 28th December 2011];
- Golf Day [11am, Friday 30th December, Otaki Golf Club];
- Fun Sports Day [3pm, Sunday 1st January 2012, Hank Edwards Reserve];
- Ambrose Golf followed by BBQ [Monday 2nd January, Levin Golf Club];
- Sand Sculpture Competition [Saturday 21st January, Judging @ 5.30pm]; (Only items collected from the Beach may be used in your designs!)
In addition, your Ratepayers Association maintains ongoing liaison with Council, Police and Neighbourhood Support for matters relating to the general location;
- Submissions to Council on Planning matters relevant to Waikawa Beach;
- Environment matters, e.g. re-channelling the river mouth to avoid unnecessary erosion;
- Beach cleans, working bees and hard-rubbish collection;
- General Community maintenance matters;
- Ratepayers Association AGM [3pm, Tuesday 27th December 2011, Hank Edwards Reserve];
How can you support your Ratepayers Association?
WAIKAWA BEACH RATEPAYERS ASSOCIATION
Annual Subscription: [1 October 2011 – 30 September 2012] $25.00
Name; Beach Address; Home Address; E-Mail Address
Send cheque payment to: John Brown, 9A 19 Maida Vale, Roseneath, Wellington Direct Credit: Waikawa Beach Ratepayers (Westpac, Levin) 03 0667 0268929 000
(Please include your surname and address in the Reference fields.)
Don’t forget to look at our website. It is updated regularly. www.waikawabeach.org.nz
Just a friendly reminder …
Alcohol should not be consumed in public places.
A reminder that there is a liquor ban in force on New Years Eve.
This applies to all streets and reserves within the village and also the beach.
Please bring all rubbish and especially glass bottles and tin-cans back from the beach with you.
Should you come across sharp objects on the beach, please bring these back as well, if at all practical.
Horowhenua District Council bylaws prohibit unleashed dogs in the settlement.
Dogs must be kept under control when on the beach, and on a leash, when on the beach north of the river and across the bridge.
We are awaiting placement of ‘doogy-poo’ bags at the main accesses to the beach. Please dispose of your dog’s waste responsibly.
Levin Container Rubbish collect Horowhenua District Council official bags every Monday free of charge. Collection is on Tuesday if Monday is public holiday.
Wheelie bins can be hired short-term over Summer.
Under no circumstances is rubbish to be dumped on the beach, at the Reserve or in the river.
Recyclable rubbish is collected on Mondays in Horowhenua District Council bins.
For holiday-makers, a manned Recycling truck will be at the public toilets over the Summer Holidays, each Saturday 9am – 12noon. [Dec’11 – Jan’12]
VEHICLES ON BEACH
The beach is an open-road, and all vehicles on the beach must be registered and warranted, and drivers licensed.
However it is not recommended to take vehicles down on to the beach as there are many soft patches. There are areas of “worm holes” where, if a vehicle stops, it will quickly sink up to its axles.