Roads wear away, potholes and puddles appear, and sometimes fixes are discussed.
On 17 January 2018 Kevin Burns and Miraz Jordan representing the Association met with Brent Tucker, Roading Officer – Āpiha Arawaka, from the Horowhenua District Council, who are responsible for local roads. We looked at several areas that need attention. Orders have been sent out for these three. Photos by Brent Tucker.
- Corner of Walkers Lane: low shoulder needs to be built up and resealed as the edges are breaking.
- Corner of Drake Street and Waikawa Beach Road: seal is broken and needs to be repaired.
- Corner of Drake and Arthur Streets: the edge is broken and needs repair, and the shoulder has become quite high so a puddle develops. The shape of the berm needs to be changed.
We also looked at these (photos by Miraz):
- At the village entrance the side of the road is breaking away and vehicles are going up on the berm. Water ponds here.
- The Strathnaver Drive puddle that covered most or all of the road near 111B during the rainy parts of 2017. Brent will contact Horizons on this as it may be an issue with nearby property owners not keeping the streams or drains that run through their property clear.
- The problem of the Strathnaver Drive speed bumps for cyclists. While cars and trucks slow and handle them in the usual way, quad bikes and motorbikes just whizz past on the berm, but the many cyclists are stuck either enduring the bump or trying to handle the shingle and rabbit holes beside the bump. We asked for something to smooth the ride for cyclists, such as a little extra seal around the ends.