Unfortunately John Russell, our Secretary appointed at the December 2018 AGM, has had to withdraw from the Committee because of overwhelming work obligations.
Thank you John, for all your work.
This leaves the WBRA without a crucial committee member. Could you step up to help until the next AGM (or even beyond)?
The Secretary role requires perhaps 2 or 3 hours per week, sometimes in bursts, and may be best served by someone who lives here or nearby.
Committee meetings are usually held on a Sunday morning on long weekends such as Easter, Queen’s Birthday and Labour Weekend, though we can look at alternative times and dates. It’s helpful if the Secretary can also attend other meetings that sometimes come up, such as meetings with Council officers, or public meetings on matters that concern Waikawa Beach.
WBRA Secretary tasks:
- daily check the email account and respond to or act on emails as required
- help develop meeting Agendas and other materials, in conjunction with the Chair
- help make sure meetings are conducted properly (eg Mover, Seconder, vote)
- take Minutes at meetings and record actions and who will take action by when
- distribute Minutes and other items
- attend various external meetings from time to time, for example with Council officials
- print some items, such as Newsletters, and put on the Noticeboard
- help maintain an overview of the Association’s affairs
- liaise with other office holders / committee members about Committee matters
- keep an eye on any legal obligations we may have, eg filing returns as an Incorporated Society
- act as the public officer of the Association
This is a role you would fulfil out of a sense of service to our community. No-one on the Committee is paid.
Objects of the WBRA
- To promote and protect the interests of Ratepayers and the residents of the district and to create and foster public interest in all matters affecting the progress and welfare of the district.
- To do all things necessary for or incidental to the attainment of the above objects.
Note, to stay in line with legal requirements we are currently looking at how we need to change the Rules of the WBRA.
In recent times the WBRA has made submissions on Horowhenua District Council plans to supply drinking water and sewage services and changes to beach and rural road speed limits. We are corresponding with NZTA about the intersection of Waikawa Beach Road and SH1. We’ve worked with Horizons Regional Council and Horowhenua District Council to deal with erosion problems and on maintaining a suitable vehicle access to the beach.
Every summer we run community activities such as Boat Day and Sports Day.
We alert the Council to local problems, such as issues with the toilets or roads. We maintain the AED Defibrillator. We consult with members on issues that arise from time to time.
Taking on the Secretary role is an opportunity to make a meaningful contribution to our community. Are you the right person for the job?
If you think you could do the job, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible.