There are several areas around Waikawa Beach where gamebird hunting takes place. It’s easy, for example, to hear the shots from Lake Huritini. If you have animals that respond poorly to the sounds of shooting it would pay to keep them confined for a few hours from dawn on [Saturday] 01 May 2021.
With game bird hunting season starting on 1 May, Police is reminding people to be vigilant about safety.
“We encourage everyone heading out shooting this season to refresh themselves on the seven rules of firearm safety,” says Acting Superintendent Mike McIlraith, Officer in Charge: Arms Safety and Control. …
The Seven Firearms Safety Rules
- Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
- Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
- Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
- Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
- Rule 5: Check your firing zone
- Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
- Rule 7: Avoid both alcohol and drugs when handling firearms
And for those who enjoy shooting, remember it is illegal to carry or use a loaded firearm in a vehicle. See Rabbits and firearms safety on the road for more detail.