Horowhenua District council proposes to introduce a new bylaw for the control of solid waste within the district. The bylaw is entitled “Horowhenua District Council Waste Bylaw 2008”. The proposed commencement date is 1 July 2008. The draft bylaw is available for viewing during working hours at the offices of the Council in Oxford St Levin, Main Street Foxton and at the library in Plimmer Terrace, Shannon.
The following is a summary of the proposal.
1. Waste types are defined as one of Household, Recyclable, Green, Paper, Inorganic, Commercial Household, Commercial, Prohibited or Hazardous Waste. Methods of management of each type of waste are set out. This includes approved receptacles, placement of waste for collection and offences.
2. It is an offence to deposit Waste, trolleys and receptacles on Public Land.
3. People who run special events are required to obtain a Waste management licence. This ensures that waste is properly managed at such events.
4. Operators of waste management facilities are required to obtain a licence.
5. Collectors of waste are required to obtain a licence. The licence for collectors of waste will include a requirement to collect recyclable or paper waste separately.
Full details of the proposed change, and a submission form are available from the Council website
Collection programme for February
Monday 4th – Plastics
Monday 11th – Tin & Aluminium cans
Monday 18th – Paper
Monday 25th – Glass
HDC ask that supermarket bags are used to sort and pack recycling material to keep things tidy. Bags are collected with the normal Monday rubbish collection. The contractor will only pick up as per the above schedule so to minimise rubbish around the settlement please take note of the correct items and dates.
Full details are available on the Council website
Some of the people who put in a submission will have received a copy of the Councils planner’s report by email.
Under the Resource Management Act Council are required to send out a copy to all who made a submission on the application and indicated that they wanted to be heard. These were to be posted today, and Tony Thomas (HDC) has also emailed a copy to all he had email addresses for.
If you would like a copy of the report, please email email@example.com
The hearing for the application for the subdivision will start on February 11th 2008 at 11am in the HDC council chambers.
There is some additional information available at the council’s reception desk. It is also available for download at
This is a 4.MB zip file. You will need Winzip or similar to open it.(Clicking on the link will open a popup window.) If you would prefer to have the info emailed to you, or would like it on CD, please email firstname.lastname@example.org