Local news and environment
- Waikawa News — items of news about and relevant to Waikawa Beach, includes monthly newsletter.
- Wow Waikawa! celebrates the best about Waikawa Beach. Focus on the environment.
- Waikawa Beach Community Page on Facebook — an independent very active page for folks at Waikawa Beach.
Weather & Water
- Waikawa Beach Weather: A private weather station at Waikawa which records and displays live weather data including a web cam. Has records from November 2008.
- Tidsespy: tides, wind, swell, best times for fishing.
- Tide times and charts for Waikawa Beach, and weather forecast for fishing in Waikawa Beach.
- River water quality: Horizons District Council web site.
- Swim spot data over summer: water quality at the footbridge and in the sea just north of the river mouth.
- The New Zealand Drought Monitor.
- Horowhenua District Council — our local council.
- Horizons Regional Council — our Regional Council.
- Kapiti District Council: the boundary lies at the south end of Reay Mackay Grove.
- Greater Wellington Regional Council. Note: the boundary is marked with a post in the dunes approx 400 metres south of the south walkway to the beach off Reay Mackay Grove, and approx 600 metres north of the Waiorongomai Stream.
- Traffic Updates – Horowhenua Kapiti Wellington. Even if you hate Facebook, this is an actual reason to use it (just don’t read the comments). Bang up-to-date usable info on the roads around here and between here and Wellington.
- Train to Wellington: The Capital Connection: Monday to Friday, departs Otaki approx 0713, arrives Otaki approx 1820, $19.50 each way or buy a multi-trip ticket.
- Levin to Waikanae bus service (and other local routes).
- Bus to Wellington: Intercity
- Wellington region traffic cams, including Otaki.
Food & drink
- Manakau Store: dairy, takeaways and ready made quality meals.
- Manakau Market: fresh fruit and veg, also takeaway food.
- Deer Story Museum (SH1 close to the dairy): museum, bar and cafe, also Sunday roast.
- Waikawa Blueberries: 123 Waikawa Beach Road. Pick Your Own blueberries, real fruit icecream, drinks, seasonal produce. Award winning olive oil. EFT-POS available. (Facebook page)
- Quarter Acre cafe bistro at Manakau.
- Salt & Pepper Cafe at Ohau.
- Taper Eatery in Levin
- The Gorge cafe in Ōtaki. (Facebook page).
- Oxford Fresh Levin: $40 Fresh Local Fruit & Vege available. Delivery to your door is $5. Order via website.
- Aquagold Water Supply: based right here in Waikawa Beach. Fill your water tank.
- Puppy Communication Training: Puppy training in your own home using gentle positive techniques. (Facebook)
- Marcus Gibson Builders: Kapiti & Horowhenua: a small local company building new and bespoke homes, along with renovations and alterations.
- Little Rose – Aesthetics By Shayla: A Luxury Country Haven situated 10 minutes out of Levin in Manakau. Everything beauty -Skin, Eyes, Nails, Body & Gifts. (Facebook)
- Main Range: fencing and post ramming specialists in rural /lifestyle fencing. Andrew Martin 0273626837 and Mark Holtom 0272689995. (Facebook)
Services we’ve seen recommended or advertised elsewhere (eg the Waikawa Beach Facebook group):
- Dog Wash: at the Gull service station, 150 Oxford Street, Levin. $10 gives you 10 minutes.
- Miles Davis Plumbing: 027 4902162. Lives in Ohau.
- Te Hekenga; early days in Horowhenua, being the reminiscences of Mr. Rod. McDonald, published 1920s.
- Reminiscences of an old colonist, by Thomas Bevan, 1908.
- Bitter Water — a book about the history of Waikawa Beach.
- Otaki Historical Society & Museum: Open 7 days per week, 10am – 2pm, Otaki Museum, 49 Main Street, Otaki.
- Manakau District Community Association: website of our sister community. (Facebook)