Weather & Water
- Waikawa Beach Weather: A private weather station at Waikawa which records and displays live weather data including a web cam. Has records from November 2008.
- Tidsespy: tides, wind, swell, best times for fishing.
- Tide times and charts for Waikawa Beach, and weather forecast for fishing in Waikawa Beach.
- River water quality: Horizons District Council web site.
- Swim spot data over summer: water quality at the footbridge and in the sea just north of the river mouth.
- The New Zealand Drought Monitor.
- Horowhenua District Council — our local council.
- Horizons Regional Council — our Regional Council.
- Kapiti District Council: the boundary lies at the south end of Reay Mackay Grove.
- Greater Wellington Regional Council. Note: the boundary is marked with a post in the dunes approx 400 metres south of the south walkway to the beach off Reay Mackay Grove, and approx 600 metres north of the Waiorongomai Stream.
- Train to Wellington: The Capital Connection: Monday to Friday, departs Otaki approx 0713, arrives Otaki approx 1820, $19.50 each way or buy a multi-trip ticket.
- Levin to Waikanae bus service (and other local routes).
- Bus to Wellington: Intercity
- Traffic Updates – Horowhenua Kapiti Wellington. Even if you hate Facebook, this is an actual reason to use it (just don’t read the comments). Bang up-to-date usable info on the roads around here and between here and Wellington.
- Wellington region traffic cams, including Otaki.
- Paraparaumu airport
Food & drink
- Manakau Store: dairy, takeaways and ready made quality meals.
- Salt & Pepper Cafe at Ohau.
- Quarter Acre cafe at Manakau.
- Taper Cafe in Levin (Facebook page).
- Aquagold Water Supply: based right here in Waikawa Beach. Fill your water tank.
- Waikawa Blueberries: Waikawa Blueberries is a Pick Your Own blueberry farm at 123 Waikawa Beach Road. Generally open during weekends 10 am – 4 pm during December, February, March and April. To check the weather and see if we are open text 021 712217.
- Woody’s Free Range Farm, North Manakau Road: Woody’s Free Range Farm is a 100% free range, rare breed pig farm. They sell high quality meat products such as bacon and sausages.
- Manna Milk, North Manakau Road: Manna Milk provides fresh, raw milk from our farm in Manakau.
- Te Hekenga; early days in Horowhenua, being the reminiscences of Mr. Rod. McDonald, published 1920s.
- Reminiscences of an old colonist, by Thomas Bevan, 1908.
- Bitter Water — a book about the history of Waikawa Beach.
- Otaki Historical Society & Museum: Open 7 days per week, 10am – 2pm, Otaki Museum, 49 Main Street, Otaki.
- Manakau District Community Association: website of our sister community.
- Waikawa Beach Community Page on Facebook — an active independent page for folks at Waikawa Beach.