Newsletter Nov 2007

Liquor Ban

A reminder that there is a liquor ban in force on New Years Eve. This applies to all streets and reserves within the village and the beach.

Rubbish Collections

Official Council bags are collected on a Monday by Levin Container Rubbish and wheelie bins can be hired for a period of a month for the cost of $30. Ring Levin Container Rubbish on 06 368  2438

Boat Ramp

The Association was granted $2000 from the Manakau Medieval Market earlier this year and it will be used to install a simple ramp by the footbridge to enable canoes and kayaks to have easier access to the river. We have been waiting for the summer weather to install it.

Neighbourhood Support    

A coordinator is still required for this essential post. Please let Erica Wyatt know if you are interested. Continue to be vigilant and report anything suspicious. Try to make a note of the make and colour of any vehicle and even two or three letters or numbers of the numberplate. There was another daytime burglary not too long ago and vandalism at Labour weekend so we cannot afford to relax.

Subdivisions 

The NZ Wise development off Strathnaver Drive is proceeding to the Environment Court for mediation with an amended layout.  We will pursue this and will endeavour to have it made smaller in size.

 Waikawa Lakes: There has been no notification about a hearing date for the Waikawa Lakes subdivision but the Association has make a submission along with many other residents. Thank you for your input.

Notice Board

The notice board at the entrance way is solely for the use of the Association. Personal notices have been put up recently and we would appreciate this not being the case. The notice board by the bridge is for general use.

Bitter Water – A Story of Waikawa 

New residents might be interested in this book of the history of Waikawa written by a local resident. It is available from John Hewitson 4 Cathryn Street  362 6926 or from the author Deb Shepherd deb@catch22.co.nz    Price $20

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays
 

NZ Wise Sub-division

Although not reported in the press, the Waikawa Beach Ratepayers Association and others suceeded in their efforts to have this 44 section sub division halted when the Commisioners, after a three day hearing, issued a finding that the sub division should not proceed.

The developers have filed an appeal with the Environment Court and this Association will continue to oppose this sub division.

  

Waikawa Subdivisions

waikawa.jpg

The subdivision proposed by NZ Wise Ltd off Stathnaver Drive has been declined however this could be appealed or a revised plan submitted.  

Another subdivision on the land on the left of Waikawa Beach Road as you enter the settlement has been submitted. Submissions on this propsal close on 24 August 2007. Waikawa Lakes will impact heavily on the character of the beach and the Association will formulate a submission.  If you feel strongly about this subdivision you are urged to make a submission as the number of submissions received by the Comissioners in the NZ Wise hearing did help to influence the decision. A copy of the application for the subdivision is available at

http://rapidshare.com/files/46863213/Waikawa_Lakes_Application_Part_1.zip

Neighbourhood Support Group

There have been some reported cases of theft in Waikawa Beach recently. The Residents Association recommend that all residents, both permanent and weekenders join the Neighbourhood Support Group. 

If you would like to join the Waikawa Beach Neighbourhood Support Group you are asked to send your name, address, home and work telephone number and email address to:

Horowhenua Neighbourhood Support Group Inc 

c/- Levin Police

PO Box 242

Levin 

Committee Minutes – 07 April 2007

Held at 4 Cathryn Street on Saturday 7 April 2007

The committee met at 3.00 pm

Also present for first 50 minutes was Michael Cornell to present information on proposed sub-division of 44 half-acre sections off Strathnaver Drive. He answered questions from the committee and addressed some of our concerns. General discussion included issues related to water, effluent, road usage, safety, beach access.

The formal meeting commenced at 3.55 pm

Apologies: Helen Hewitson, Brendan Duffy.    Wyatt/Duncan 
             
Present: Cecily Archer, John Brown, Gary Drake, Liz Duncan, Graeme Hassell, John Hewitson, Lesley-Anne Walker, Joe Wilson, Erica Wyatt.

Minutes: Accepted as a true and accurate record.              Duncan/Walker          
Matters arising from the Minutes:
• There is still a huge rabbit problem. Pindone to be distributed.
• There has been no communication from Wendy at Neighbourhood Support.
• Lesley-Anne has the sign for the end of bridge and arrangements are underway for a board to attach it to.
• Jack has repaired the noticeboard. Erica to officially thank him for his efforts.
• The details of the website need to be discussed and finalised so it can go ahead.
• The Association has the $2,000 for the boat ramp. It was decided that it should be known as “Andy’s Ramp” as he would have made such frequent use if it.
• Christmas holiday activities were all successful. Specific age groups for sports day worked well.
• ‘Lock it or Lose it’ sign are now up.
• Barbed wire in ‘desert’ still a concern. Suggestion that the catchment Board be asked to deal with it.
• No word yet about the rubbish bin at the bridge.
• Broadband should be here by mid-April.
• Tranzit and Horowhenua District Council meeting –
o Summary of accidents on Main Road
o Speed limit and relevant signage to be put on bridge to reduce speed there
o Everything else is a ‘no-go’.
• Burglary in Sarah Street. Seen by a Neighbourhood Watch representative but not recognised for what was it was. Need to make residents aware that burglaries do happen here and everyone should be on the lookout for anything not normal and/or suspicious.
• John H reported that the Neighbourhood Support meeting was worth attending and gave some details of Police operations,

Correspondence:
 Inward:
• Council Draft Annual Plan – Kapiti green waste to be dumped in Horowhenua landfill and the use of the revenue from this.  Erica to write notifying the Council that we are not in favour of this proposal.
• Pritchard’s sub-division plan – application for resource consent expected to be mid-April. Information about this to go in newsletter. We need specific reasons to want to modify the plan.

Financial Report: No financial report this time.
  
Accounts passed for payment       
LCR – bins for clean-up day   $236.00
Graeme Hassell – ice for Boat Day  $  18.00
Liz Duncan – Sports Day incidentals  $201.30
         Brown/Walker

General Business:
• Erica to prepare submission on Cornell sub-division.
• Working Bee on ANZAC Day 9.00am at Entrance.

Michael Brown joined the meeting to discuss the proposed web site. He explained our options and opportunities. John Brown to be the Web ‘Captain’. Site should be operational in a month. Details of the subdivision to be included in information. The possibility of a Blog site for registered rate-payers was discussed. Michael will prepare a design for our approval.

Next meeting to be Saturday 2 June at 3.00pm at 24 Manga Pirau Street .
Following meetings 22 September and 8 December.
The meeting closed at 5.20 pm.