Delays and accidents on SH1 between the Ōtaki roundabout and Hokio Beach Road in calendar year 2020
The purpose of this page is to record ‘events’ along SH1 between Ōtaki and Levin, and also nearby, especially through Ōtaki. Sometimes the stretch of road between Waikawa Beach Road and Levin is completely blocked by accidents, many with fatalities. Congestion is an ongoing problem, especially around holidays.
Information is drawn from the NZTA Wellington Twitter feed: @NZTAWgtn. Items between Levin and Ōtaki are marked with ☛ .
Oldest dates are at the bottom of the page. Also see the Traffic problems 2019 page.
- Friday 17 January 2020 💤 🚑
- SH1 PEKA PEKA TO ŌTAKI, NORTHBOUND – CONGESTION – 2:40 PM Due to holiday traffic, there is significant #congestion heading north between Peka Peka and Ōtaki. Please expect delays and plan your journey accordingly. ^EW https://twitter.com/NZTAWgtn/status/1217984483112124418/video/1
- UPDATE 3:50 PM Northbound #congestion on #SH1 between Peka Peka to Ōtaki remains. Queues are currently south of Peka Peka on-ramp. Thanks for your continued patience, along this route this evening. ^AP
- UPDATE 5 PM The northbound #congestion on #SH1 remains south of Peka Peka, easing after Ōtaki. Thanks for your patience this evening. ^AP
- SH1 TE HORO, NORTHBOUND – CRASH – 5:30 PM A #crash is BLOCKING northbound lanes, south of School Rd. All emergency services and a helicopter are en route. Please expect additional northbound DELAYS along this route. ^CR
- UPDATE 5:55 PM Emergency services and contractors are now at this serious #SH1 #crash near Te Horo. Traffic management in place. Please continue to expect additional DELAYS along this route this evening. ^CR
- FINAL UPDATE 6:45 PM This #SH1 crash near Te Horo is now CLEAR and all lanes are OPEN. Congestion has also EASED between Peka Peka and Ōtaki. Thanks for your patience this evening. ^CR
- FINAL UPDATE 6:45 PM Northbound congestion has now EASED on #SH1 between Peka Peka and Ōtaki. Thanks for your patience this evening. Use our Holiday Journeys Planner to help decide when to make the return trip this long weekend: http://journeys.nzta.govt.nz/holiday-journeys/wellington-anniversary-2020/ ^CR
- Saturday 04 January 2020 💤
- ☛ SH1 MANAKAU TO ŌTAKI, SOUTHBOUND – CONGESTION – 3:30PM Traffic is heavily congested on #SH1 heading south between Manakau and Ōtaki. Please expect significant #delays and allow extra time for your journey. ^EW
- ☛ UPDATE 5:30 Traffic remains HEAVY on #SH1 southbound to Ōtaki. Please continue to expect significant delays and allow extra time for your journey. ^EW
- ☛ UPDATE 6:25 This congestion on SH1 is beginning to ease. Please continue to expect delays heading south. ^EW
- ☛ FINAL UPDATE 6:50 Congestion on #SH1 has now EASED. Thank you for your patience! ^EW
- Friday, 03 January 2020 💤
- ☛ SH1 LEVIN TO ŌTAKI, SOUTHBOUND – CONGESTION – 3:30 Expect southbound delays of about 15 to 30 minutes on #SH1 between Levin to Ōtaki due to holiday congestion. Plan ahead & allow extra time for your journey. For more info visit:http://ow.ly/540K50xM6bL. ^SJ
- ☛ UPDATE – 04:00 Expect southbound delays of about 30 to 45 minutes on SH1 between Levin to Otaki due to holiday congestion. ^SJ
- ☛ FINAL UPDATE – 07:00 The traffic is now moving normally on SH1 between Levin and Otaki. ^SJ
- Thursday, 02 January 2020 💤
- ☛ SH1 MANAKAU TO ŌTAKI, SOUTHBOUND – CONGESTION – 2:50 Expect significant southbound delays on #SH1 between Manakau & Ōtaki due to holiday congestion. Plan ahead & allow extra time for your journey.
Check our Holiday Journeys page to avoid delays: http://journeys.nzta.govt.nz/holiday-journeys/summer-holidays-2019/ ^EW
- ☛ UPDATE 5:00 Traffic remains heavily congested on #SH1 heading southbound to Ōtaki. Please expect significant DELAYS in the area. ^EW
- ☛ UPDATE 6:50 Traffic southbound on #SH1 is beginning to ease, however significant congestion remains. Please continue to expect delays. ^EW
- FINAL UPDATE 7:20 Congestion southbound on SH1 has now cleared. Thank you for your patience! ^EW
- See Holidaymakers returning to Wellington cause delays.